Sunday, September 30, 2007

Section 2: 10 Loaded Words, Summary, and Reaction

10 Loaded Words: (+ positive reaction, - negative readtion)


Unblessed pg. 50 (-) This had a negative reaction because the word unblessed gives readers the impression that whoever is unblessed is either unwanted or hated.
Orphan pg. 61 (-) This had a negative reaction because to me, orphan is a harsh word. Although it could be replaced be other words much worse I still believe it has a negative reaction due to the context.
Tie-Dye People pg. 63 (-) To me, this has a negative reaction. It sounds like a stereotype instead of the word hippie. It sounds like he is referring to them as different people.
Spectacular pg. 67 (+) To me, this is a word that has more power to it than cool, or fun. This word is loaded because it has more “weight” then other words.
Ridiculous Beauty pg. 67 (+) When I read these words, I immediately wrote it down as a loaded word. It really gives the reader a positive reaction. More so than something like pretty, or good looking.
Dashing Doubt pg 68 (+) In the context that these words are in, it describes taking away the doubt that people have. People read these words and, like it says, do not doubt what the writer is trying to say.
Flawless pg. 68 (+) This word describes the perfection of their talent. If something is flawless, nothing can go wrong, which to me as the reader means it is loaded.
Perfect F***ing Machine pg. 68 (+) Although this has a swear word in it, I think that adds to how loaded the word is. It describes what he wishes to be like, and there could be so many other ways to describe it, but none would have this much effect.
Professional pg. 69 (+) To me, a professional is someone who has mastered what they do. The be able to call yourself a professional, it takes time, and a lot of effort.
Senior Citizen pg. 69 (-) If I were old enough to classify in this category, I would truly dislike it, for the reason that it’s like being separated from the rest of society. This is why I think that this is a loaded word with a negative reaction.



Section 2 Summary

In section 2, not many important things happened in the few pages that were included in this part. He and Toph spent most of the section in the car, on the way to the beach. They tried to go to a nude beach but it would have cost them 10 dollars each. They eventually made their way to a regular beach. They showcase their athletic ability to eachother, and think of themselves as "professoinals." During this ride, he and Toph play games and sing, although they both don't know most of the words.

Reaction

In this section, I think the events that occured were a set up for the sections to come. Becuase of the uneventful happenings is why I believe it is a set up section. As of what I think of the book, right now it's kinda boring but from what I have heard from others that have read this book, I am sure that it will only get better. (hopefully)

No comments: